It has been pointed out to me that eighty seven is my go to number. It’s what I use when I’m dramatising anything (my age, the amount of miles I ran, how many eggs I needed to make ALL those pancakes!).
So, we did some research on the number eighty seven. Now, I am not a Mathemagician. I’m pretty sure I struggled with adding two and three together the other day (in front of someone really clever and quite good at maths, the shame!) and I have been known to count using my fingers so, I have pretty much lifted the following from clever people who put it on the internet….
- 87 is the natural number following 86 and preceding 88
In Roman numerals 87 looks like this LXXXVII
Prime Factorisation is 3 x 29
87 is the sum of the squares of the first four primes. It is also the sum of the sum of divisors of the first ten integers.
- 87 is an odd number
- 87 cannot be written as a sum of 3 sqaures
- 87 in binary code appears as 0b1010111
- I was 3 years old in ‘87
- The number 87 is superstitiously unlucky in Australia when playing cricket and is referred to as “The Devil’s Number”. This is because 87 is 13 runs short of a century.
- The 87 photographic filter blocks visible light allowing only infrared light to pass
- The atomic number of Francium (chemical element with symbol Fr) is 87
87 is the model number of Junkers Ju 87 (a two-man (pilot and rear gunner) German dive bomber and ground-attack aircraft designed by Hermann Pohlmann which first flew in 1935 and made its combat debut in 1936 as part of the Luftwaffe’s Condor Legion during the Spanish Civil War)
In model railroading, the ratio of the popular H0 scale is 1:87. Proto:87 scale claims to offer precise proportions of wheels and tracks of real railroads.
Vault 87 is a main location in the game Fallout 3
Wenger Swiss Army Knife version XXL, listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as the world’s most multi-functional penknife with 87 tools
So! Now, you can’t say my blog isn’t educational….and if you need me for your table quiz team for the numbers round, leave a comment below!